Thirties

Well its 32 days until Ironman. I am 35 years old. My blood sugar at lunch was 39 yesterday. I swam 32 laps at lunch to make a mile yesterday. When I got out of the pool my blood sugar was 39 again. Holy cow, everything is happening fast. Last week I did the Making a Difference camp at the High School and had a good time at that but realized that I was now on work schedule and summer was officially over. This week school starts and all the stress that goes with that. Dave and I did a swim brick this weekend out in Hampton, TN. We swam for an hour and rode for 3. The wind was decent and we got to feel what roughish conditions were like. All went well, though and it was good to not be in a pool. We just hugged the shoreline because there were a lot of boats out. Monday I had to get in a 4 hour ride (I only did 3.5) - I rode for 2 hours on the trainer from 4:30 to 6:30am (which really isn't much fun) and then I hit the road when it got light and went to our first school workday. I showered at school and went over to the church were we always have our first meeting - and on cue, was breakfast waiting. Biscuits and gravy, scrambled eggs, and tons of bacon...ahhh. Well, at then end of the meeting we were told that the fire alarm was not working and that we weren't allowed in school..which really stinks because these are the days where I really need to get stuff together. So I tried to find Ash in town - I rode by the pool, Chic fil a, etc but never found her so I rode home in my cargo shorts and t-shirt. Yesterday at lunch when I was swimming (if you want to call it that - although I did the mile in less than 35 min which is comforting - and I was way low) there was a guy flying up and down the lanes and he had the USTriathlon assn sticker on his water bottle... and that always makes me feel a bit out of place - you know, when I'm around a real triathlete... it makes it worse when you are talking to the guy in the locker room and you mention that you are doing Madison IM in 33 days and he looks at you like "no, seriously" - he said he hadn't even done a half IM. Sheez. Although, I realized that I've been training for this thing for over a year and I have diabetes and I have a young family. Sure I am slow. But I am going to do it...and in that process I have learned that as I rise to meet this challenge, it loses its power. In the end, its just going to be a long day. Just like diabetes - the challenge loses its power as you meet it...and consequently kick its ass. It just takes a committment and perhaps a bit of inspiration to start you down the track. Thank you Triabetes.

Popular posts from this blog

Wake or sleep

Christmas Holidays

Winter finally arrived