Birthday thoughts

So... I'm 40 now. Its not that big a deal - mentally I am still such a child, so body and soul average out to somewhere in the late 20's I think. Today was such a really good day - and it all centered around wonderful wonderful food. Here is quick run down - an early morning wonderful tiramisu followed by a wonderful second period chocolate chip cookie cake made by the special education students... a gift that included one of the best hugs ever and a great "happy birthday" song. My second period enjoyed the cookie cake like nobody's business. Truman brought me a surprise chocolate cupcake in 3rd... then lunch began with flan from Luis. Hoffman, Luis, Jose, and I shared an amazing prima Genoa salami and perfect Italian bread and we ended it with amazing Babycakes cupcakes from Jose and Luis and Scott. At home the feast continued - Ash had smoked salmon on crackers, Gouda, guacamole and blue tortillas, prosciutto and sweet peppers, a nice mocha stout, then steak and baked potatoes for dinner. Ash had to go to work but the girls and I soldiered on to warm brownies and ice cream. I have been on a steady drip of insulin and have actually been in pretty good control... bonus. The kiddos are gearing up for a birthday parade as I write this (and they are cleaning the kitchen... bonus again).

At school - I felt like a thousand kids dropped by to say happy birthday - that was nice.  And it was a beautiful day as well...

At home, each of the kids made a card for me and they each put a poem into it that they wrote themselves (they got help with spelling but not on composition...except maybe from each other) - here they are...

Zoe's Poem: (age 9)

Dear Dad you are the best,
come here and open this chest
of memories

Come swim,
take a dive,
 aren't you glad we're all alive?

We're all here so let's rejoice,
turn on the music,
lets hear your voice!

Adia's Poem: (age 5)

 You are as sweet as a flower,
and as lovely as a rose.
And I suppose
you should be glad
that you're MY dad

Esme's Poem: (Age 4)

 Happy Birthday, Dad.
 I'm so glad
 another year around the sun.


 One final thought - Zoe said to me tonight "Dad, you may not be my BFF, but you are my dad and my friend as well" ... well that just says volumes, doesn't it? And I thought I was the one getting old:)

Popular posts from this blog

Wake or sleep

Christmas Holidays

"You're not makning any sense! Go test your blood sugar!"