Fall 2014

Fall approaches and life changes again.  My daughter is growing up.  I find myself like the season - each day shorter than the next.  Amazing things keep happening like a harvest of the soul, but the sheer abundance makes my head swim.  Gain, loss, change.... wash, rinse, repeat.  I fear and welcome winter..

I am a tree at this time of year
no grand oak or frasier fir
a buckeye perhaps
hidden and interesting

and desperate

the night overtakes the day
time is no longer a friend
in the sweltering thinness
I smell winter

the storms that shaped my branches
pruned me and splintered
my soul
may rage again

or may not

and so I race against the waning day
preparing but not quite ready
to face that icy kiss
barren and naked

In painful eternal repeat
I summon my strength
to light up the sky again
and bask in the chilly glow

of a perfect day.

Popular posts from this blog

Wake or sleep

Christmas Holidays

Winter finally arrived