DUML and the Barn

So the Duke Marine Lab trip went really well.  Once again it was the best thing I do as a teacher... it is as close to education as I ever get.  The bonus this year is that students from 3 schools went and the teachers involved (Kim L, Marywood S, Eric H, and Lawrence C) are all pretty vested and willing to lead parts of the trip themselves.  I think we are going to try to expand - perhaps 2 busses and then the parts of the trip will be kind of a la carte.  And once again, its time for me to back away and give up the reins somewhat.  Thank you universe.  Every gift has a bit of work to do with it :)

There is also a video collection from the trip - its 20 min long, so caveat emptor.

Other than that, I am sick again - another invader landed in my chest and once I got my voice back, I just couldn't and can't stop coughing... again.  This has been the consumption winter.  I would like to breathe again without the rattle... oh well.

The barn is coming along great.  A milestone was passed - the subfloor is finished and it worked out great.  It suddenly went from a barn to a house.  I want to move in now.  We consolidated our loans and are now with a local bank and there is (almost) no note on the Konnarock land - just on Glade.  We are going to rent glade and even though its not until August, we already have renters lined up.  We also got approved for a USDA program to put up a high tunnel greenhouse - so everything is proceeding at a quick clip.


And a final poem - though it reads like a song.  Its choppy and I should work on it, but I am not going to:)

"A letter to my mirror"

I used to look into my own eyes
footsteps echo, perfect skies
I used to drink it up
right from that golden cup
Now I'm just tryin'
to be free

Muddy puddles held me fast
don't reflect the me at last
now even in
a silver glass
its hard to see
beyond my past
perhaps, finally
I'm on my way
back to me

Now I look out my window
trade what I feel for what I know
I see the world outside
in that soft light
perhaps I lost myself
without a fight
I never had
the gift of sight...

I could only ever feel
now, which illusion's real?
perhaps, finally
I'm on my way
back to me


Popular posts from this blog

Wake or sleep

Christmas Holidays

Winter finally arrived