Mumbling in my awake

I think in words.  I try not to, but I do. But words can make me feel sometimes. I suppose that is why I like lyrics.  Words set to music are always poetry.  Poems aren't always lyrics I think.  But either way, poem or lyric, the musical nature of it makes the words ... disappear... And I am able to think without words.  Wow, that is irony stepping on the edge of the staircase down to crazy.  But that is the relief of a song... Or a poem.  Below is neither.

"Insomnia, of course"

My thoughts run wild tonight. My brain is tired but sleep is a good friend I haven't seen in awhile and one that I have no expectations of running into anytime soon.  I wonder where you went and what you do in the absence of the day, my friend.  But you are just another loss softly raining down upon me.  All the classics... Youth, innocence, naivety, childhood, friends, strength, my shoulder, fitness....hair....and now you.  I used to fall so easily into your embrace, without a care or a thought, and now I sit up in the dark and marvel at the hollowness of the echo emanating from the hole left in the dim stillness of your departure.  I am lost and tired and I don't know where you are.  I am a child in the woods as the sun sets.  My bright eyes are wide open and reflect nothing.  Not until I give up my life and lay my head on the white pine needles do I feel your presence, but I am gone before you touch my shoulder with your warm hand and whisper "goodnight"


Popular posts from this blog

Wake or sleep

Christmas Holidays

Cat is wiggling out of the bag