Winter finally arrived

To be on the beach lounging in a hammock or just in the warm sand ... that feels so far away that it causes some anxiety and presses on my chest.  Perhaps that's just because my field trip to the coast is just 6 weeks away and we are in the coldest weather of the year.  Oh well, I guess its appropriate that winter finally decided to stop by - I needed a real excuse to not do anything.  However, I recently got over a mental roadblock at the barn and now I am chomping at the bit to get some stuff done.  My lungs are better, but the weather is worse.  Oh well.

 It was snowing pretty good yesterday when we decided to go to Boone to go skiing.  The whole way there the roads were snow covered... in Boone, Zoe pointed out a car that was spinning down the road in the lane across from us:)  The kids really killed it yesterday.  I was super proud.  Adia and Zoe are riding lifts by themselves and Esme has super control.  They all skied a black diamond run (Esme and I did one last run on a narrow steep run - she loved it) - however, a Boone black diamond is really just flat and kind of steep, but still.


We did some sledding the day before yesterday in our big snow too.  The hill across the street is rather incredible but only in a big snow... and it was spectacular.  The second time down when we came to a stop, Esme was half way beneath the sled!  What was even more hilarious was that apparently Adia fell out and we ran right over her!  Gawd, we laughed... that wonderful "I can't breathe and I am going to throw up" laugh.




Day before that, the kids and I went to school to feed the fish and do a bit of sledding too.  As any good teacher would do in a deserted snow covered parking lot, I had the kids feel what a fibonacci sequence is by shifting the f250 into 2wd and ripped it up a bit.



Jason and I went to survey a cave that he started back in 2002.  There is a nasty tight spot that pretty much almost killed him and another guy when the water rose while they were in the back.  I was excited to see it but I was just as happy to find that it was flooded and we couldn't pass.  So we headed to Clarks Cave and did most of the survey there.  We would have been done but I was sketching and I am quite slow.  This will be fun to have found the cave, dug it open, and mapped it.




A week ago, we all went up to Konnarock and did a bike loop from the house using Grassy Ridge and the Creeper trail.  It was quite sweet and we nibbled icicles along the way.





Nothing much else to report -

made some pies,


freeze dried some grain from the brewery,


and of course, enjoyed the snow showers.  It was pouring snow and sleet in this one - hot water and pinpricks of ice... that's as good as life can be expected to get.


summer sweat an ember in my chest
bare feet they run on snow
wonderful journey impossible quest
warming winter sorrow





Popular posts from this blog

Wake or sleep

Christmas Holidays

Cat is wiggling out of the bag