Bittersweet Symphony








So, its been awhile. And its 11:11 - so I'll make a wish. I wish (hope) I don't get too wordy and end up staying up until midnight. I haven't blogged much and I haven't entered much data recently (sorry Nate and Peter - but I do have all the data ready to go thanks to those snazzy Polar watches)... But school is DONE! and I am ready to get back on the train. So here's the update. On May 10, Adia had her 1st Birthday party. We had a little get together at Valle Crucis Park... you know - the best little park...in the world...even though its not as good as Jimmy Smith Park (for those of you not from Boone... you'll just have to youtube it) A lot of family came up from Greenville and Rock Hill and dang it if I didn't get everyone together for a picture. It was great to see Mallory (who drove!), Lee, Alex, Brendon, Gray, Kelli, Steve, Jan, and Morgan as well as the local crew. Ashley made some mean cakes and all I had to do was decorate them, eat tons of icing in the process (hello hyperglycemia) and take credit for it all. Nice deal. Adia seemed to enjoy the cake.... and the day. What an incredible kid.

The last few weeks then have been quite busy - I was a grading fiend the last few weeks of school and really neglected sleeping. On most days I would wake up at 4:30 and either go run 7 with Dave, Russ, and John or I'd wake up at 4:30 and grade. But its all good because it is DONE! We got some good running in as well as some longish run/bike combos. Swimming was totally neglected for the last month and when Dave and I went for a run/swim the other morning - we paid for it. No more neglecting swimming! Of course we go to the beach tomorrow and I can just swim a ton there... but then Peter had to tell his "I should have been eaten by a shark story" just to freak me out... so we'll see.

And then it got all sad. John and Maureen got everything packed up and drove off to Denver. The guy who got me to do an off-the-couch Ironman by giving me a hat... has gone. We went for a run that last morning and left it with "I'll see you in September". Its like Dave and I have to now become grown ups and finish this thing and stop depending on John. Crap. I will miss those guys (as well as the dogs - Seamus and Bailey... well, for sure Bailey) John has pretty much changed my life and added years to it...unless of course I drown in the pool, which seemed likely the other day. The pictures taken were at a little going away party the day before they left. Goodbye guys. You have left me with very little outlet now for inappropriate jokes.
So that brings us to tonight and graduation. I'm not going to say much - but watching kids graduate that I taught in 7th and 8th grade was pretty powerful and bittersweet. I wish them godspeed but in watching them fly away I realize that I am a part of their past. Goodbye guys.
Well, its 100 days until Ironman and I better stop blubbering. This summer will be intense, I think.

Popular posts from this blog

Wake or sleep

Christmas Holidays

"You're not makning any sense! Go test your blood sugar!"