Ah, running.

Apparently, not running for a couple months DOES NOT do anything for performance.  But it was nice all the same.  I've had my reasons for not running recently - end of pregnancy, new baby, unicycles are more fun, running is painful, etc.  But I got up and out to Valle Crucis for our ol beloved 7 mile Cub run.  It was oh-so-cold and windy - but I was back in my tights, reflectors, and trusty fanny pack and off I went.  I listened to some music this time because I figured that the sound of my wheezing would drown out nature anyway.  Well.... it was noticably harder.   But I was pretty pleased.  As I came around a bend up on Baird's Creek the sun slammed into my face just as Bono blasted his first "ITS A BEAUTIFUL DAY!" - and it really was.  And I wasn't totally out of it - at the end of the looong uphill to the steep ridge I was able to push it - I had the whole furrowed brow, focused eyes, "Rocky" theme playing in my mind.  When I got to the top I stopped and tested.  45 Baby!  So I sucked down some of the very last Hammer gel I had from training last year... and after waiting the requisite 15 seconds for it to (not) take effect - off I went because Bruce Springsteen's "Born to Run" came on... I really had no choice:)   The last couple of miles were pretty pleasant except for the icy headwind on Broadstone - anything sweaty just froze.  All in all a good morning.   In Triabetes news, we got a great write up from Crystal - a pretty athletic (kayak master, biker, etc) person from Asheville who is oddly enough on the cusp of becoming a diabetic.  She found Triabetes and then Michelle found her and told me.   She is, as her doc says, 98% sure she's Type 1.  But she seems to have beta cell function so its a really odd case.  I feel for her because its hard enough just getting diabetes, its even harder just maybe getting it!  And she is such an athlete that it makes answers hard to come by.  I've talked to her a bit about the oddities of exercise and blood sugar control and sent her a great pdf from Dr. Matt (of the wonderful Diabetes Training Camp) that was a review article for athletic trainers.  She found another amazing site, for you diabetic athletes - that gives a lot of great info - The Effect of Intensive Exercise on Type 1 Diabetes Control: A Case Study.  Have a read - its really good (actually I just assume it is because I couldn't finish it!  It had so many big words!).  I couldn't help but laugh at the concept of me helping some diabetic on knowledge based stuff... it was only last year that I was the last person anyone would ask!  I guess Dave was right - we are real diabetics now.  Peace.

Popular posts from this blog

Wake or sleep

Christmas Holidays

Late night update