Adia is a diabetic now

Sunday night we suspected Adia's blood sugar was up, and when the meter read "over 600" a defining point was made in my life. It was like a death. So sudden and so permanent and I so knew what it all meant. I was so sad. I never wanted Ashley to be a diabetic parent. This sounds odd, but I myself never wanted that level of commitment to this disease. Its easy being a diabetic - in the sense that you are the one on the field. It is so difficult being a diabetic parent and I always dreaded it. We fashioned our lives around trying to limit all the possible triggers for this disease (no vaccinations, the whole diet thing - including the cow) and still my tiny, perfect angel of a daughter got it.

On the flip side, it has been awful "fun" battling the hospital when it comes to managing a diabetic. I left it in their hands for half a day and I realized that their best effort comes from a textbook. For instance, last night at 3am she was 143 and the hospital formula said that she should get half a unit. This was stupid and I refused. This morning she was 103. She has been at normal blood sugar level for 12 hours for the first time in awhile - she slept good, she's eating good... there is a lot to be thankful for as long as I don't spiral into the self pity thing..

Looks like I'll be blogging again...

Popular posts from this blog

Wake or sleep

Christmas Holidays

Cat is wiggling out of the bag