Shootin for 17 hours

I am continually amazed at how much work it is taking to barely finish this Ironman. I have 2:20 for the swim (I can do that), 8 hours for the bike (its going to be tight), and then 6.5 hours for the marathon (also tight). However, any time I save on any part goes to the next part - the times I gave are for the cutoffs. Yesterday I went and rode 100 miles - I did 2 loops of the Blood, Sweat, and Gears 50 (and had to add on a couple of miles because the BSG is more like 48 miles) - its a pretty mountainous route from the center of the universe (Valle Crucis School - Dave's school, my old school) up to the gate to Grandfather Mountain and back around. I did it in 7:00 (minus a 15 min stop half way in to call Ash and redo water, etc) - which makes for 14.3 mph average. To make the cutoff, I have to keep 14mph. On the plus side - I kept my average heartrate to 128 (69%max) - Rick said to shoot for 70% - and I felt absolutely great. I kept the water/salt intake good and I was able to eat (at least in the second half - was strangely high for the first 50). When I hopped off my bike I jogged around a bit to see how I felt and I could have easily gone for a run...normally the run after the bike really stinks. And so I've got to have faith that the mountains are going to be good for me and that everything is going to work out... because I want to have plenty of time to hobble the run. Of course, I've got to attribute some of the comfort to the sweet schwag that Peter sent to us last week - Specialized gave us a super pair of cycling shoes (my feet have never not gone to sleep on the bike until now - I hate to admit it, but there is a real difference between the expensive shoes and the ones I usually buy:), a great helmet (also very comfortable - helmets have come a long way in the 6 years since I bought my last one:), and a nice pair of sunglasses (seeing as Adia just broke mine...serendipity)

Popular posts from this blog

Wake or sleep

Christmas Holidays

Late night update